Friday, June 13, 2008

Working 9 - 5?!?!

In the fabulous world of agency life, there's no real 9 to 5. When I moved up to NY from the suburban safety net of DE and my seemingly simple 8-5 job, my pleasant 40-45 hour work week all but smoldered under presentations, trainings, client deadlines, budgets, meetings, travel and happy hours. Believe me, while necessary, those happy hours are not happy-they're work. They're not all fun and games. That said, when you get to work, you stay until the work is finished. Unfortunately, there is no 5:00 whistle in the Big Apple.

Remember the age old image of Fred Flintstone sliding down the back of the dinosaur after his shift ends - not so much. Its a three or four o'clock Starbucks run for the long night ahead of you. Today its been a long day and an even longer week. After checking off the last thing on my overly stuffed to-do list I pack my overly stylish NYC briefcase and I head to the elevator bank. Will a deep exhale and the feeling of accomplishment settle from my lips? Nope, there's still more tomorrow. Moments later, the green down marker lights up and my mood lightens as I am one step closer to being home. The door opens and it appears to be empty...until I see my boss standing on the far side. Though incapable of small talk, I smile and make a lame comment about the finished workday that I'm sure she has heard a hundred times.

Here's the thing: they don't put the big bosses of companies on the top floor because they're status symbols, oh no. They do it to create awkward moments just like this.

After two floors of excruciating silence I ask, "Any plans for tonight?" Rather than answer me, she asks me for a report that was on my to do list for tomorrow. When we reach the lobby she steps out and I push my floor number again. "Forgot my cell phone" I say, as the doors close and she goes off to have dinner with her husband. I head back into the office to cross another item off my to do list.

Fred Flintstone had it easy.

No comments: