Friday, December 4, 2009

In New York...concrete jungle where dreams are made of...

I'm really digging the "Empire State" song by JayZ and Alicia Keys. It's inspiring to hear a song that represents New York so well, the good and the bad. But I'm listening to the lyrics again and they got me thinking. JayZ quotes Frankie when he says "If I can make it there, I can make it anywhere" and I believe that to be true.

But what does it mean to "make it"? And how do you know if you have?

On paper it probably reads that I've "made it"....does it?

  • Amazing husband
  • Great friends
  • Glamorous NYC Job
  • Better than average salary
  • House in the 'burbs
  • 2.5 dogs
  • SUV

Have I done it? Have I achieved the American Dream? Has NYC helped me get there? I'm tempted to say....

wait for it....

No!

Despite the glamour that comes with working and living in / near NYC, I can't help but wonder if something else is missing. Working in NYC is hard. The commute sucks. Its literally a concrete jungle. People are mean. The streets are mean. It's incredibly frustrating, especially walking through Tourist ridden Times Square.

So yes, maybe we've 'made it', but it doesn't make it right. There's got to be a better quality of life out there that lets go of the monotony of black clothing, taxis and sirens, overpriced drinks and impossible to get into restaurants. Where does that all exist?

I think, that after the time spent in NYC I've become a stronger person; perhaps it's been better for my career, but it's also made me a bit more cynical and pessimistic than I'd like to admit. So I think the time has come to search for greener pastures. Perhaps I'm ready to make it anywhere else but here.

No comments: