Sunday, April 13, 2008

It's not always glamorous...

Sometimes its just a typical suburban day in the Bloom'. Me, the boy and Mags are having a typical Sunday - a little bit of laundry, a little bit of grocery store, a little bit of The Godfather, you know, much like the rest of the world, it's a day of rest.

Don't get me wrong, we weren't completely lazy today. We did get a couple of things accomplished. In addition to the cookies baking in the oven as I write this (of course they're the Betty Crocker Break and Bake, but who cares?), I did do some heavy lifting today while the boy took his Bike out for a spin. I'll explain....

A couple of months ago we purchased new bedroom furniture for one of the guest bedrooms. Ok, I'll be honest, the furniture was for the Helen Keller room. You may ask yourself why we have a bedroom called the Helen Keller room. What, you dont have one?

My sister lovingly nicknamed the room the Helen Keller room because prior to the new furniture that we purchased, the room had a single twin bed, a small dresser and a small white rug. I will admit, it looked very asylum like. The entire room was white in addition to the walls, curtains, bedspread and small rug and my sister Stacey felt that you would have to be deaf and blind to want to stay in this room over the other rooms in our house. Thanks Stace. We've got a couple of new decorating ideas for Helen's room so hang tight. Anyway, Helen's room got a furniture upgrade and the furniture is now a deep dark wood with silver accents. It's very cute - very modern. Helen's furniture is now up in the attic and Stacey is convinced that the ghost of Helen haunts the attic. But I digress.

So, when we put the new bed in the room formally known as Helen's room, we decided that in order to ensure that the bed was nice enough to allow our guests to sleep on, we should test it out! So we scheduled an "away game" one night, packed our PJ's and slept in the guest room. WOW! That bed is comfortable! It was like sleeping on a cloud. Heavenly. I didn't want to get up. It was literally like a pillow of heavenly, featherbedly goodness. It's far more comfortable than our own bed, and our own bed is super comfy. For the next couple of nights, we slept in the guest room. So it occurred to me, while it's polite to put your guests in a nice, comfortable bed, isn't it even more polite to make yourself comfortable in your own home? The boy didn't quite agree with me on this topic and thought we should leave the beds as they were.

So, while the boy was out joy riding today, I swapped the Queen sized pillow topped mattresses out of Helen's room and replaced it for our own. What? Don't look at me like that...besides, he'll sleep like a baby tonight.

Gotta go, the cookies are ready...

No comments: